Friday, July 13, 2012

The Journey Begins...Almost!

I caught the traveling bug as they say when I was in Junior High and traveled to Mexico for a week through Girl Scouts (yes, I was one of those girls who stayed in Girl Scouts through High School).  That trip got me hooked on travel and ever since that fateful day when I decided to travel with a bunch of complete strangers to Mexico for a week I have taken every opportunity presented to me to see as many places in this world as possible (from Germany to Guatemala and, fingers crossed, everywhere in between an so much more). 
My love for God was instilled in me from an early age.  My mother took to me church faithfully every week, even if it took some coercion (or as she calls it, "encouragement").  My parish in Laramie helped me grow and mature in faith and has given me so many tools to help me continue to grow as I leave Laramie and strike out on a new adventure.  Yes, that's right.  I'm headed out on yet another new adventure.  But for those of you who are not so familiar with my life let me fill you in a little. 
When I was 16 I went to Germany for World Youth Day in Koln and did a lot of traveling within the boarders of the US.  Then after High School I decided I wanted to do something really radical.  I decided to dedicate 9 months of my life to serving the Lord and spreading the gospel message.  So I joined NET Ministries.  NET is a non-profit organization based out of Minnesota that packs groups of college age students into a 15 passenger van and sends them on a 9 month journey across the country to spread the Gospel to teenagers (and anyone else we may meet along the way).  My time with NET was literally the best of times and the worst of times because with growth comes growing pains.  As a young 18 year old (and as a young 18 year old I literally mean a young 18 as I'd only been 18 for about 2 months) fresh out of high school I definitely had some growing to do.  I thought I had my life together but a month on the road and a bout of pink eye had me crying for mommy!  I quickly learned I didn't have really anything together and realized if I was going to survive my year on the road I would have to rely on God and my team mates to get through.  I was (and still am) so grateful I was given the opportunity to serve with NET but did not feel called to serve a second year when the time came to make that commitment.  I believed my time with NET was good but that chapter of my life was over and it was time to move on to college and see what I could learn at the University of Wyoming in yes, my hometown. 
So I moved back to Laramie and into the dorms to start my freshman year of college.  Can I just say that living in the dorms in my hometown seemed a rather odd concept at first. I mean most of my friends either decided to live at home or hadn't taken a year off and were in apartments so I felt a little awkward living in the dorms (especially since they put me, a music major, on a floor with a bunch of health sciences majors.  Great, what could I possibly talk to them about?  I hated Biology!).  But I gave it some time and learned many lessons living in the dorms.  First, I discovered picking the right roommate is of the utmost importance and how wonderful it can be when your terrible room mate just disappears one day and never returns. Second, although I hated it at the time when I moved out I realized cafeteria food is wonderful when it means you don't have to the dishes!  Finally, while living in the dorms I discovered an amazing group of friends who have been my support through college. They have helped me become the person that has led me to this point in my life.  So, what is this point in my life you might ask?  This is getting rather long and I suppose I should get to the point already. 
So, here it is, the whole point of this blog.  You remember how I thought my time with NET was over?  Well, I was wrong once again (shocker, I know).  God is so good at keeping me on my toes (and keeping me humble).  I am once again about to embark on a crazy 9 month journey with NET Ministries, but this time I'll be serving in Ireland.  In just 27 short days I will board a plan and head toward the beautiful green country I've always dreamed of visiting.  I will once again devote 9 months to serving God and spreading his gospel message (indulging my love for travel is just a side bonus).  I will literally be living a dream.   I get share my faith and see new places and meet new people and develop bonds that will mold and shape the person God wishes me to become.  Of course, I can't do this alone so I ask for prayers as I get ready to start this new chapter in my life.  In return, I will try to blog as often as possible (although I make no guarantees as the life a Netter is crazy) and share my experiences with those of you who wish to read about them.  Thank you in advance for your support and I can't wait to share this experience with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment