God is so good and has been doing so much in my life. He is constantly calling me deeper into my relationship
with him and in my faith. I was reading
my journals from the beginning of my NET year and reflecting on all the ways I
have grown this year and all God has done in my heart and I am amazed, partly because
I still seem to have the same struggles a lot of days and get frustrated that I
just don’t seem to get it. But even when I don’t think I am growing at
all and nothing is changing in my life I know that is not true because God is
ever faithful and I know he is always with me and helping me grow daily. I may stumble, a lot, but he never leaves my
side and continues to guide me on my journey.
I gave a talk a couple of weeks ago on faith and I discovered how I view
my life and my faith and I think it applies very much to this idea.
See, I picture my life as basically this great black
void. The black void isn't nothingness but
rather it’s like someone just turned out the lights on my life so I can’t see
anything. But I’m not completely in the dark;
I have an itty bitty baby torch. This torch
brings some comfort but really is only enough light to show the ground at my
feet and not much else. I know there is a path for my life out there
somewhere in the darkness of my future I just can’t see it! It is so frustrating. But as I walk along this path with great
trepidation and fear I know I am not alone.
Jesus is walking right beside me and because he is God of course he can
see in the dark and knows the path that lies ahead. As I walk with him I just want desperately
for someone to turn on the floodlights or give me night vision goggles but of
course that doesn't happen. The only
choice I have is to grab hold of Jesus’ hand and let him guide me.
For those of you who have ever done a trust activity with me
you know how hard this is for me. I remember
at camp one time having to do a trust activity where everyone held their hands
out at eye level to create the most terrifying tunnel in existence. See, we were expected to run through this
tunnel and as we came everyone would raise their arms leaving us free from the
black eye I was convinced could be the only outcome of this little
experiment. The first time I ran through
this form of torture I crouched down into a little ball, closed my eyes and ran
under the arms because there was no way I was running headlong into that! Needless to say they made me do it over and
over again until I could run, very slowly, through this tunnel upright. Every time I ran through the tunnel I was
terrified but the more I watched everyone else do it and get through unscathed
I started to believe maybe I would survive as well. I slowly learned to trust the people in the
tunnel and although this particularly activity is still not my idea of fun I
can say that I am able to run through the tunnel upright with eyes open most of
the way.
Trusting in God’s plan for my life has always been a
struggle
for me. I am naturally a
planner and therefore want a game plan for my life and as I've stated in other
posts I like to have a plan for what my life will look like in the future. I don’t do the whole itty bitty baby torch
that lights the ground I’m on and that’s it thing. This year and really my whole life is a great
long lesson in trusting in God and his plan for my life. All I have is my itty bitty baby torch and
Jesus by my side to get through the darkness and since the torch is mostly worthless I
have to trust Jesus to guide me. I often
try to wander on my own and end up in some ditch covered in mud. However, Jesus is
always with me and although he may laugh with me about being covered in mud and
yet another failed attempt to do things on my own he always loves me and is
there to pick me up, clean the mud off and keep going.
I am currently in the midst of the great job hunt of 2013
and most days I’m terrified because I have no idea where God is going to take
me. I've applied for many jobs, some
close to home, some not so much, and I have no idea what the next step in my
life will be but I’m trying to take my itty bitty baby torch and Jesus’ hand
and trust he will guide me. He knows
where I am supposed to be next year and if I can just continue to trust in him
and listen to him I know it will all work out.
I found this great quote that has really inspired me in this and it goes
like this, “Faith isn't the ability to believe long and far into the
misty future. It’s simply taking God at His Word and taking the next step.” I don’t have to have all the
answers for my future; I don’t have to know the path. I just need to keep taking steps and letting
the Lord lead me.
So, that is just one of the things God is doing in my life
right now. I will write more letting you
know of the adventures I have been on and the ministry and much more, I promise!

No comments:
Post a Comment