Monday, October 15, 2012

Life in the Village

So life here in Delvin continues.   Some of you may not be shocked to hear that not a whole lot happens in our little town of 400 people but it’s definitely the truth.  Although there are not many big events in this village we keep ourselves entertained and we are not short of random events at our house.  We go on a lot of walks around town discovering new random things in the town.  We found a tire swing the other day that is super fun.  I anticipate us spending a lot of time swinging on the tire swing and playing on the little playground in town.  We may have looked a little like creepers playing on the playground but we weren’t any creepier than the woman who stood at her window watching us while she drank her coffee for 40 minutes so I was ok with it.  Besides walks around our small town we watch a lot of movies to keep ourselves entertained.  Another way we keep ourselves entertained is by watching episodes of the tv show Chuck.  Our team has really bonded over that show and we have a lot of fun watching it together.  We have a lot of inside jokes from that show and random YouTube videos.  We are definitely finding ways to entertain ourselves.

Our youth group is going really well.  We have a solid group of youth attending which is great.  We’ve had a movie night and a trivia night since my last post.  Our movie night was fun although I think the youth found Jurassic Park a little cheesy.  I loved it though because I’ve never seen it and felt like as a child of that generation I should have seen it.  It was rather cheesy, I have to agree with the teenager there, but I still found it wonderful and am glad I’ve now seen the first Jurassic Park movie.  Our trivia night went over quite well.  We made a Jeopardy board on our wall and had all kinds of topics to stump (and not stump) the youth group.  My favorite category was Name That Tune.  I may have been partial as I wrote the questions but whatever!  I wrote lines from songs for them to guess and they only got the really easy ones even though most of them were songs they should have known like Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and Iris by Goo Goo Dolls.  Although, I have something to get off my chest because I feel this is a serious issue in our culture today.  Only like 2 of the youth in our youth group had ever heard Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourn!!!!! What is that all about!  How have they never heard of Crazy Train?  It’s like one of the most iconic songs in the world and they had never heard it.  Is this song just an American thing or is this song just going to be lost to the sands of time forgotten forever?  I don’t think I can handle this and am now dedicating my life to ensuring that this song and others like it will not be forgotten!

In other news we went to Dublin on Saturday which was really fun.  We left early(ish) and headed out for our Dublin adventure.  We drove to Dublin and parked at IKEA because I refused to drive in the main part of Dublin.  We caught a bus into the main part of the city and after a stop at McDonalds to pee we headed toward Temple Bar.  We spent a lot of our time in Temple Bar because it was so cool.  We found all kinds of fun things in this urban part of town like a book market and a food market on different streets.  I loved the food market and the book market (big shocker there!).  I mean seriously, my two favorite things, food and books, within a 2 block radius of one another.  The food market was fabulous.  They had different vendors and food stands ranging from Chinese to American style hot dogs to Irish dairy products to a booth called Viva Mexico.  I’ll give one guess at which stand was my favorite.  The Mexican booth seriously made my day!!! I don’t think I can adequately explain how much I have been missing Mexican food so when I saw that booth I almost cried.  I got a burrito that was like a taste of heaven on the streets of Dublin.  After exploring Temple Bar for a few hours we headed to Graffton Street.


On Graffton Street we visited Peterson’s pipe shop, a famous pipe shop in Dublin.  As you can guess that was more for the guys on the team than the girls.  It was cool I guess although it was not my favorite part of the day.  On Grafton Street they also have a lot of street performers which was really cool.  I loved all the different acts we discovered as we walked along the street.  There were different bands and singers and cool dancer and the last act we found was a juggler.   He was quite the character.  He was pretty good and Ben even got to part of the act.  St. Stephen’s Green is also at the end of Graffton street so we walked around the park for a while.  It was a beautiful park in the middle of the city, much like Central Park in New York although St. Stephen’s Green is smaller.  They did have swans though which was cool although I was ok watching them from a distance and not getting up close and personal with them, they are still birds after all! 
After all that we headed back to IKEA where we ate dinner and started finding stuff to furnish our house.  We have been saving our household money the last few weeks so we could start getting stuff for our house like kitchen supplies and hangars and trash cans.  We came away with quite a haul which mostly fit in our small car.  After a long and exhausting day we headed home which was an adventure in itself.

The first part of the drive was fine because it was on the motorway so the road was nice and spacious so although it was dark I had lots of room and didn’t get too freaked out.  Then we turned off the motorway onto what I’m pretty sure is the most terrifying road created by man.  It was this tiny little road that was not exactly straight to put it lightly and it was pitch black and to make it even better there was fog.  Needlessly to say the drive was stressful but my team was great about being encouraging and helping me not freak out!  I never thought I would be so happy to see Delvin.  After missing the road to our house and taking a little tour of Delvin to turn around we arrived home where we all just crashed on the couch for a while before heading to bed.

Well, I believe that is all for now!  Thank you all for reading my blog and supporting me!  I really appreciate it and keep you all in my prayers.  Look for more posts and photos on Facebook.  I just put up a whole bunch of new photos on Facebook so head to my Facebook page and check ‘em out!
God Bless,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment