Monday, January 21, 2013

I'll be home for Christmas...if only in my dreams


Instead of going home for Christmas this year mom and Tim came over to Ireland and we spent Christmas on this side of the pond.  We had so much fun exploring this country and London together.  
After December retreat I had to stay a night in Dublin before mom and Tim got over here the next day.  A couple other people from NET were in Dublin that night as well so we got together and went to the Christmas markets to look around and then went to dinner at Eddie Rockets.  It was really nice to have some people to hang out with for the evening.  Christophe (the team leader of the road team) and I decided we would stay in a hostel that night to save some money.  Not the best idea!  We were put in a room with 8 other people, most of which were really loud until about 4 am.  They decided it would be a good idea to come into the room once about every hour until  4 am and turn on the lights and talk loudly.  It was quite the experience that I am glad I had so I can say I have done it but I don't think it will be repeated.
I picked up mom and Tim from the airport the next morning bright and early.  We ate breakfast and picked up the rental car before starting our Irish/English adventures.  We headed to the Guinness factory first thing that morning because it was not going to be open when we were back in Dublin and of course my 21 year old brother had to see the Guinness Factory.  So off we went to a beer making factory at 10:00 in the morning.  We are not alcoholics I swear!  It was a really cool factory.  We got to see how the beer is made and got to have samples.  We didn't get our free pint though because it was 10:00 in the morning and about half way through the tour mom and Tim’s jet lag set in and we decided to just head out to our next destination.
Gingerbread house in the reception area at the castle.
We then headed to Co. Clare where we stayed at Dromoland Castle, a castle that is now fitted with modern amenities including a spa.  Mom and I went to the spa and got massages while Tim took a nap :)  It was absolutely wonderful after a night on the most uncomfortable bed of my life.  The castle was great and totally opposite of my accommodations the night before.  So much so that we learned it is in fact possible to be under dressed for breakfast!!! Bet you didn't know that was possible but let me tell you it is.  We decided we eat breakfast at the castle since they had a continental breakfast.  We headed down to check it out and before we knew it we were being seated at a table with thick linen napkins in our lap and real silver at our place settings.  It cost about $25 a piece for a continental breakfast. It was ridiculous and we totally felt like fish out of water.  It was a good breakfast with pastries and fruit and yogurt with granola and some other stuff but I would not say it was worth the money we spent.  Our time at the castle showed us how the other side lives and I have to say I'm quite happy being on this side thank you very much!
After our ridiculous breakfast and tour of the castle grounds we set off for the Cliffs of Moher.  I had yet to see the Cliffs so I was really excited for this. On the way we got held up by some cows but they were quickly herded off the road and we were back on our way.  It was a really foggy morning and when we got there the lady told us visibility was basically nothing but we decided to go in anyways and man am I glad we did.  When we first got there we couldn't see anything because of the fog but we spent some time in the visitor center and by the time we came back out it was starting to clear.  It turned out to be a great day and there were hardly any people there because the fog earlier had deterred so many.  They were absolutely beautiful, even with the fog.
Cliffs of Moher
At Glenveagh National Park
 During our time in Ireland we also went to Galway and spent some time in Sligo.  We saw the Hobbit in 3D and did some great shopping.  We also went up to Co. Donegal into Glenveagh national park which was absolutely beautiful.  We got to see many more castles that didn't make us feel quite so out of place.  We also spent a couple of nights in Delvin at my house where my mom and Tim got a taste of real Irish living, cold!!!  From Delvin I took them to the Hill of Tara where I got to explore the old book shop again.  We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day at a B&B in Dublin.  On Christmas Eve we walked around Dublin and explored the city which equaled great soreness the next day.  Luckily we spent Christmas day just hanging out at the B&B relaxing.  The next day we headed out for London to begin the next leg of our journey.
London was great despite a rough first day.  We happened to arrive in London the day the tube(subway) drivers decided to go on strike.  Luckily one line was open and it happened to lead right to where we needed to go... kind of.  We didn't stay in the main part of town to save money but because of that it was a little hard to find our way around that first day.  We spent a little time being lost then a very nice man with an iphone google mapped where we needed to go and got us right there.  I thank God for that man because otherwise I think we would still be lost on the streets of London.  We got to London earlier enough that first day to do some exploring so after dropping off our bags we headed out.  We had to take the bus because the tube was shut down like I mentioned which meant the buses were crazy packed.  Plus it was the day after Christmas which is just as a big a shopping holiday here as it is back home.  After figuring everything out and an hour long detour on a bus heading the wrong direction we made it back to the hotel to enjoy a good nights rest after a very long day.
View from the London Eye
The rest of the trip went by much smoother because the tube was up and running, except for a few stations all close to us, of course, but we made do and were able to get around quite easily.  We tried to see as much as possible and were able to see a lot.  Tim and I went to the London Zoo which was awesome.  It was a rainy day so it was pretty empty which made us quite happy.  Tim and I also went on the London Eye while mom went to the Florence Nightengale Museum (she doesn't do heights).  The London Eye was probably my favorite thing.  It was the one thing I wanted to do while we were there.  
We also went to the Tower of London and saw the crown jewels which included a 520 carat diamond.  It was huge.  We went to Buckingham Palace and saw the guards.  The other thing we did that closely tied the London Eye was the British Music Experience (BME) at the O2 Theater.  It was this great exhibit that had the history of British music from the early 1920's to now complete with photos, memorabilia and other cool stuff.  It also had a room where you could play instruments and sing.  That was my favorite part and I'm pretty sure I could have stayed in there all day learning different instruments but as mom and Tim are not musically inclined we did not stay there all day.  I was really glad the BME was at the O2 because that meant I got to see that great theater as well.  I didn't get to go to a show or see the stage really but I can say I was there which will do for now!  
Gate in front of Buckingham Palace
Overall it was a great trip and I really enjoyed spending time with my family.  Mom and Tim headed home the morning of New Years Eve and I headed back to Delvin.  I spent a few days just sitting at home enjoying a good rest before heading up to Donegal for January training.  


No comments:

Post a Comment