Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Bucket List: Straight No Chaser

One of my favorite groups ever since their YouTube video of the 12 Days of Christmas went viral 7 years ago has been Straight No Chaser.  For those of you who don't know who they are, they are an acappella group that was formed in the late 90's at Indiana University.  I know some of you may be thinking acappella is lame and cheesy.  To you I respond that you must not have heard these guys!
Straight No Chaser is a group of friends that sing covers of any type of music you could imagine.  On their latest album they sing a little bit of everything for Jolene with Dolly Parton to Signed Sealed Delivered with Stevie Wonder to Adele to Lego House by Ed Sheeran and tons of other styles.  Not only do they make incredible music but they also put on a great show.
Some of you may have noticed many of my bucket list have something to do with music.  One of these happens to be to see Straight No Chaser live.  Well, I can now cross that off my list!!
On Saturday October 26th I celebrated with my mom her birthday at a Straight No Chaser concert.  We of course went shopping and had a nice dinner before the show but the guys were the main attraction.  I can't tell you how excited I was to see this group.  This night was something I had been counting down to and dreaming of for so long!  They were definitely worth the wait.
The show was amazing.  The music was as wonderful as I imagined.  The guys were more beautiful than their pictures and funny to add a cherry on top.  The show met all my expectations and I even got meet the guys and get their autographs after the show.(Yes I was that girl who stood in line to get their autographs like a 13 year old girl and no I was not ashamed of it!!!)
While all that was amazing I have to say the best part about the night was spending it with my mom.  I love my mom very must.  She is the best mother a girl could ask for.  She loves and supports my brother and I without being afraid to tell us when she thinks we're being dumb.  Although she always lets us make our own decisions, even the dumb ones.  Whether our decisions lead to a fall or happiness she is there to support us and rejoice with us.  She is one of the most selfless people I know.  I mean, for her birthday she went to see one of my favorite groups  She likes them but I know she went for me.  Being able to experience that show with my mom made it so much more special.  
Living your dreams isn't all about the things you do o the places you go but the people with whom you share those experiences.  I think I've said it before and I'll say it again, living a full life includes other people who you  love and who love you in return.  What's that line in Moulin Rough, "The greatest thing you'll ever love is to love and be loved in return."  That has always been one of my favorite lines in that movie because I think it is so true.  Love is at the heart of all we do and if we can understand that basic principle our lives will be full, rich and happy. 




Check out the original 12 Days of Christmas! 



... and one of the songs off their new album.
















No comments:

Post a Comment