
I'm by nature a planner. I'm not very spontaneous. I like to have a plan and when there is a plan it stresses me out to deviate from it. In spite of this in my new mission to live out my bucket list of new dreams and a full life I added, Do Something Spontaneous to the list. I wanted to add things to my bucket list that would challenge me and this was definitely one of those things.
Going back a bit, 6 weeks to be exact, I moved to Cheyenne to start a new job. I didn't really know many people so I decided that if people asked me to do something I would say yes. So the few people I knew started asking me to do things and I started saying yes. I was a little like Jim Carey in that movie Yes Man although not quite to that extreme. I didn't go sky diving or anything, just to a rodeo, which if you know me you know that isn't exactly my scene.
I happened to move to Cheyenne the week of Cheyenne Frontier Days, which just happens to be one of the biggest rodeos around. The Daddy of 'Em All takes over the town for about 2 weeks and for some reason the town always seems to think the week of the rodeo is a great time to start construction so you can't get anywhere between traffic and traffic cones. Although it can be hassle it does provide a lot to do and for the first time in my life I took full advantage of the festivities the rodeo provided. I said yes to opportunities that gave me an opportunity to step out of my comfort zone in an attempt to build a sense of community in my new town. I went to bull riding, rodeos, and a Toby Keith concert. I had a great week at the rodeo and was so glad that I said yes to those things.
So, a week after CFD when a friend asked me to go down to Denver with her for a Brad Paisley concert that night I said yes. I definitely did not wake up planning on attending a concert that night. My day was not going to go according to plan. In fact, I was planning on playing in a softball game and heading to bed early given how tired I was and the early morning I had the next day. All of these things were going through my head and I almost said no but then I thought of my bucket list and the dream I had to live life to the full and said yes. I knew I may not get another chance to see one of my favorite artists and knew I couldn't say no. Two people said no going to the concert and it was like God was giving me this amazing gift and all I had to say was yes.
Saying yes led to one of the coolest experiences of my life. I had a great chat with my friend as we drove down to Denver and the openers were really good. Then it was Brad's turn and from the first chord I knew I had made the right choice. The concert started with the song, Southern Comfort Zone and as I sang along I was reminded of home and how much I love my home state, even if it isn't in the south. After being away so long I am happy to be home and near all those I love. This song and most of Brad's songs remind me of things I love and speak to my heart. This wasn't just about entertainment but an experience of love and really God reminding me of what an amazing life He has given me.
The bow that wrapped up this beautiful gift God gave me came about halfway through the concert. Brad's band looked to be leaving and he began making his way through the crowd and everyone, including myself, began craning their necks to see him and asking the question, "Where is he going?" Then we got an answer and all I could say was, "I can't believe this is happening!" See, Brad stopped at the end of my row where a secondary stage was set up and so began the "unplugged" portion of the concert. Brad Paisley, one of my favorite singers, was 10 feet away singing I'm Still a Guy which just happens to be one of my dad and I's favorite songs. A love of Brad Paisley is something my dad and I share so hearing one of his favorite songs just reminded of that bond we share and once again Brad's concert was about more than just entertainment. Brad sang about 3 songs on the secondary stage before heading back to the main stage to finish his concert.
The concert ended and we headed home with a firm love for Brad Paisley. His concert was one of graciousness, humility and love. From giving a signed guitar to a little girl to bringing his openers back on stage Brad displayed a love for others and a great humility. That's what made the concert so great. Plus he's just an amazing musician.
So, I have checked do something spontaneous off my list and it was an amazing experience but I definitely don't think it will be the last spontaneous thing I do. I want to continue to embrace the experiences that come my way to live life to the full and I encourage you to do the same. I can't guarantee every experience will be great. I don't expect all spontaneous choices to be good but I know I can learn and grow from them which is why I will continue to choose them. Choosing a life and Living a Dream is about embracing those opportunities in life that help us to grow. So, do something spontaneous and embrace the gifts of experiences God want to give you.
No comments:
Post a Comment